[DRBD-user] read-only access on Secondary for MySQL (InnoDB) Raw Partition?

Josh McAllister josh at bluehornet.com
Wed Jun 23 10:39:47 CEST 2004

I'm really not trying to be a pain in butt... just encouraging some
"out-of-the-box" thinking... That being said, I've read the FAQ, the
pertinent part:

"DRBD would not care, but most likely your filesystem will be confused
because it will not be aware about changes in the underlying device.
This in general means that it cannot work, not with ext2, ext3,
reiserFS, JFS or XFS. If you need not just a mirrored, but a shared
filesystem, use GFS or OpenGFS for example. But these are much slower."

In this case there is no "filesystem", we are accessing the partition
directly, so if DRBD truly doesn't care...???

Of course it does go on to say:

"This is the reason why DRBD does not allow mounting the secondary."

Is this arbitrary limitation really enforced?

Thanks,
Josh