[DRBD-user] Opteron/Xeon - Kernel 2.4/2.6 setup

Daniel Khan d.khan at ventigo.com
Mon Jun 14 10:44:32 CEST 2004

Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

> 1) DRBD is a _two_ node cluster
> 2) You cannot mount the DRBD-device in Secondary state
>
> What's possible in your case:
>
> A) split /home
>           node3        node1        node2
> home1     Primary      Secondary    unconfigured
> home2     Primary      unconfigured Secondary

Yes - this is the setup I was planning.
node1 and node2 hold different data.
So the clustering is between node1/node3, node2/node3.

[..]
> The advantage of sync utilities like rsync/unison on file or content
> level is, that there is no restriction in direction or mounting.
>
> The disadvantage is, that rsync cannot sync continiously. If you start
> it e.g. by cron each hour, data changes of the last hour can be lost. In
> case of read only webpages, your users maybe can live with this risk.
>
> For web-forums, wikis, web-shops etc., where updates happen often, I
> would prefer DRBD.

Yes - not to forget mail servering.
Unfortunately drbd won't work for me atm. I'll use mysql replication for
the DB data and I will have to deal with the potential data loss of ~1hr
for everything on disk.

rsync has another disandavantage - it's consumes much CPU power on
checking for updates.
I tried this once and I had massive load peaks.

But - again I there is no other way to go for now.

cheers

--
Daniel Khan
CTO

[::] webCLUSTER.at
Ebretsteiner & Khan OEG

Kornstrasse 10 4060 Leonding
Tel: +43 (0) 732 37 09 60 | Fax: +43 (0) 732 37 09 60 10
http://www.webcluster.at | support at webcluster.at