[DRBD-user] Stale NFS file handle vs. NFS-Server-README.txt

Peter Kruse pk at q-leap.com
Wed Jun 9 15:15:21 CEST 2004

Eugene Crosser wrote:

> You just do it in a suboptimal way.  When the cluster switchover takes
> place, NFS clients get IO error or even need to remount the filesystem.

this depends on the nfs-mount options used (hard vs. soft)

> When done "properly", switchover is completely transparent to the

are you refering to the iptables hack?

> clients.  That is, even when switchover takes place when the client is
> in the middle of writing a big file, operation will be completed on the
> new node and integrity of the content will be preserved.
>
> Speaking specifically about /var/lib/nfs location, the recommendation to
> keep it on shared media is only relevant when the filesystem is exported
> to network range(s) (as opposed to individual hosts).

But you still have the problem in an active/active cluster.  I don't see
a way how you would solve that when linking /var/lib/nfs to the shared
storage.
And even if you only export it to individual hosts you want to
keep the information what was mounted by the clients.

	Peter