[DRBD-user] Stale NFS file handle vs. NFS-Server-README.txt

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Jun 8 22:43:38 CEST 2004

Jens Dreger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to set up a drbd+heartbeat NFS-server. Most things work fine,
> but if I write to the NFS storage during failover, I get a Stale NFS
> file handle error:
>
> root:~> cp /tmp/large_file /mnt
> cp: writing `/mnt/large_file': Stale NFS file handle
> cp: closing `/mnt/large_file': Stale NFS file handle
>
> I can get rid of this error, if I insert a small amount of time before
> taking over the IP:
>
> [/etc/ha.d/haresources]
>   node1 datadisk::drbd0 nfs-kernel-server nfs-common \
>       wait_n_seconds::5 IPaddr::160.45.32.173
>
> (wait_n_seconds::5 just sleeps for 5 seconds). Putting the ip in front
> as suggested in http://www.slackworks.com/~dkrovich/DRBD/heartbeat.html
> doesn't work at all.

<SNIP>
The http://www.slackworks.com/~dkrovich/DRBD/heartbeat.html worked fine for me
on fedora core 1, except it called out 'nfsserver', instead of 'nfslock' &
'nfs' which are used to start rpc.lockd (nfslock), and rpc.nfsd + rpc.rquotad
+ rpc.mountd (nfs), and 'nfsserver' is not documented as to what it is (I
think it is the SuSe version of nfs + nfslock).

What do nfs-kernel-server & nfs-common do (what do they each start up and in
what order)?
What order would these be started by the init on your machine if you were not
using heartbeat?
You did stop init from starting them didn't you?

--
Todd Denniston