[DRBD-user] Suboptimal behavior in abnormal startup?

Eugene Crosser crosser at rol.ru
Tue Jun 8 15:42:37 CEST 2004

Gents,

I have a feeling (but not 100% certain) that 0.7 does not behave quite
right when a fresher note is forcibly made secondary.  Consider this
scenario:

- node A: primary&syncsource goes down
- node B: secondary&synctarget becomes primary&wfconnection
- Oops!  You decide to continue using node A, take down B and boot A.
  A becomes primary&wfconnection
- You boot B.

At this moment B thinks that it sould have become syncsource, but
because it sees that A is already primary it would not interfere and
becomes synctarget.  So far so good.  *BUT* it says that "no sync
needed" and so, supposedly, the changes that where made on node A after
boot are not propagated to B, and so the data on B is in fact
inconsistent despite it says that it's consistent.

Am I missing something?

If not, I think it would be better to forcibly invalidate B, to prevent
the chance of using bad data...

Eugene