[DRBD-user] creating /dev/nb0 problem

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sun Jul 25 10:40:08 CEST 2004

/ 2004-07-25 05:43:04 +0000
\ Robert:
> > > can not open /deb/nb0: No such device or address

> > > p.s. I did configured my drbd.conf and did the
> > > "drbadm up all" and it didn't work..

> > well...
> > is the module loaded?
> > --> lsmod | grep drbd
> > --> cat /proc/drbd
> >

> > 	Lars Ellenberg
> >

> Thanks, I found out my problem. I needed to modify the Makefile for the
> EXTRAVERSION to reflect my kernel number. I removed the word "custom".
> Now DRBD 0.7 is installed correctly. Let me see if I can make it run.
> Is there a step by step for the 0.7?

I did not write one yet (or did I? I sometimes don't quite remember what
was already posted here ...)

> I did the drbdadm up all and got
> this after doing cat /proc/dev on primary computer
>
> version: 0.7.0 svn $Rev: 1438 $ (api:74/proto:74)
>
>  0: cs:Connected st:Secondary/Secondary ld:Inconsistent
>     ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0
>  1: cs:Unconfigured

which is expected.
I guess what suprises you is the "inconsistent".
that is because the meta data was newly created.
so the drbd are not yet in-sync on both nodes.
and drbd has no way to know in which direction this
initial sync needs to be
(you may have created a new drbd on top of an existing file system...).

so you have to tell it which one _you_ think has the data now.
choose one node (if you have underlying data: the correct one)
to become primary. then force it to become primary (because it
"feels inconsistent", it will refuse otherwise).
this is drbdsetup /dev/nbX primary --do-what-I-say
or, drbdadm -- --do-what-I-say r0 primary.

as explained, this is only needed when you choose the primary for the
very first time, i.e. when there was no valid meta data available.

>  here is how my config file looks like

> resource r0 {
>   protocol C;
>   incon-degr-cmd "halt -f";
>   startup { degr-wfc-timeout 120; }
>   disk { on-io-error   detach; }
>   net {
>      timeout       60;
>      connect-int   10;
>      ping-int      10;
>      max-buffers     2048;
>      max-epoch-size  2048;
>      ko-count 4;
>      on-disconnect reconnect;
>   }
>   syncer { rate 100M; group 1; al-extents 257; }
>   on master {
>      device /dev/nb0; disk /dev/hda3;
>      address 10.0.0.41:7788; meta-disk internal;
>   }
>   on slave {
>      device /dev/nb0; disk /dev/hda2;
>      address 10.0.0.40:7788; meta-disk internal;
>   }
> }

which is just the defaults. ok.

	Lars Ellenberg