[DRBD-user] debianizing 0.7 (was: -pre9 (=rc2))

Bernd Schubert bernd-schubert at web.de
Mon Jul 5 03:48:22 CEST 2004

Hello,

I just uploaded a new version:

http://www.pci.uni-heidelberg.de/tc/usr/bernd/downloads/drbd/debian_20040705.tar.gz

> > 1.) It can't yet decide if its a 2.6. or 2.4. kernel and so doesn't know
> > which module to install. This would be easy to fix
>
> I changed this "hardcoded" just to step forward.

This is fixed now.

> > 2.) I never compiled a kernel with make-kpkg and so have no experience
> > with building debian kernel modules packages at all.
>
> Try this mini-HOWTO:
> http://wiki.trick.ca/linux-ha/DRBD_2fHowTo_2fPackageForDebian

Thanks, but since I even didn't know the basics about make-kpkg, I followed
another howto:

http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompile.html

The part about pcmcia has exactly what I was looking for ;)

So now also the module building part works fine :)

The last issue to solve is a strange version number which is somehow added to
the final module package: drbd-modules-2.6.7_0.7-pre8-2+10.00.Custom_all.deb.
I mean this '10.00.Custom_all', don't know where it comes from. This will have
to wait until the next weekend.

> But be aware, 2.6.6 needed nearly 3 hours to compile on my Celeron 600,
> 2.4 needs only 1 hour.

Hmm, on our dual opteron I can compile 2.6. with gcc-2.95 in less than 10min.

>    make-kpkg modules_image

Ah, I should have read your main more carefully ;)

> Including a half working /debian in drbd-CVS would be better, than
> having a non working.

I think now its ready for including it.

Cheers,
	Bernd