[DRBD-user] painfully slow sync

Dave Dunkin dave at gottathink.com
Tue Jan 27 05:35:25 CET 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 4:26 PM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> / 2004-01-26 15:48:14 -0600
> \ dave at gottathink.com:
>> Quoting Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com>:
>>
>>> / 2004-01-25 23:38:08 -0800
>>> \ Dave Dunkin:
>>>
>>> you are sure that your /dev/md is not rebuilding at the same time?
>>>

>> /dev/md is not rebuilding.
>
> ? .... ?
> input?
>
> please provide more information, otherwise all we can do is guess.
> type and size of the lower level devices of your md, syslog,
> whatever seems remotely relevant...

Sorry, I don't really know what to look for. Both of the nodes are
identical dual P3 550MHz, 1GB RAM. Kernel 2.4.20-28.9smp, drbd 0.6.10.
The md device I'm using is 62.4GB software RAID1 of two identical IDE
drives. The rest of the system partitions also live on these drives. I
did just notice that I inadvertently put both drives on the same IDE
channel. The system is nearly idle while it still syncs at <500KB/s 20
hours later. Here's what vmstat has to say:

    procs                      memory      swap          io     system
    cpu
  r  b  w   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in    cs
us sy id
  0  0  0      0 706072  90144  91012    0    0   223    20  185   159
0  2 98

thanks,

Dave Dunkin
Software Architect