[DRBD-user] New module build system and Debian kernel-headers

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Jan 21 13:28:41 CET 2004

/ 2004-01-20 03:04:57 -0500
\ David Krovich:
> In 0.6.9 there is a changelog entry regarding
>
>   *) New module build system (using kernel source tree build system)

The reason is that we simply do not want to bother with all sort
of architechture and kernel version dependent defines and extra
flags. So we just call out to the kernel-source master-Makefile,
since it obviously knows all this, and pretend we was a module
subdirectory of the kernel-source tree.

So you obviously need that Makefile, and all the scripts and tools
that the Makefile may call, and you even sometimes need write
access to (your copy of) the kernel-source tree.

> As an alternate approach, It looks like I can use a source package to
> automatically build a appropriate drbd modules for each stock version
> of the debian kernel.  This appears to be how alsa is currently doing
> things in debian w/ 2.4.x kernels.  The alsa way makes it nice, you
> just apt-get install the appropriate binary alsa-module package for
> the kernel you are running and you are good to go.  This approach
> would probably be easier for end users, but tougher on me as I'd have
> to figure out how to do things this way.  :)

Thanks for your effort, and good luck!

	Lars Ellenberg