[DRBD-user] mirror config questions for manual failover

Tony Tay tonytay at netspace.net.au
Mon Jan 19 09:23:48 CET 2004

hi george,

----- Original Message -----
From: "george young" <gry at ll.mit.edu>
To: <drbd-user at lists.linbit.com>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 2:18 PM
Subject: [DRBD-user] mirror config questions for manual failover

> [drbd-0.6.10, Suse 8.2 x86 linux 2.4.20-4GB-SMP, 2 nodes, pvt 100Mb net]
> I have two nodes, pig-app and pig-db.  Default config is that pig-app has
> the active copy of /home(36GB), pig-db has /db(1GB), each DRBD mirrored to
> the other.  If and *only if* an administrator decides that one node is
> down, she runs a script on the remaining node to take over the other's
> file system (and switch ip's around so users get the new host).  I'm
> having trouble getting the right drbd commands for this script.  I also
> see very slowww syncing time...
> Both are are reiser file systems.
> There is a private 100Mbit ethernet between the two nodes.
> I use the HA-Linux "IPaddr" script, but heatbeat is *not* enabled.
>
> Here's my script for pig-app to grab the /db filesystem from pig-db:
> if ping -c 1 pig-db; then
>     rsh -n pig-db /usr/local/etc/ha.d/resource.d/datadisk drbd_db stop &
>     sleep 30
> fi
> /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/nb1 disconnect
> /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/nb1 net 10.0.0.115:7789 10.0.0.114:7789 C
> /usr/local/etc/ha.d/resource.d/datadisk drbd_db start
> I'm trying to assure that I don't get into a 2-hour long sync while
> users are screaming.  After correcting the problem, I can revert
> off-hours, so that time is not critical.
> Does this script make sense?  How could it be better?
>
> I am also frustrated that it takes 2 hours to sync 36G over a 100Mbit
> private net.  That's a rate of about 5 Mbytes/sec.  Disks on both hosts
> are fast hardware raids.  Am I missing something?

I also run SuSe 8.2 with 100Mbit lines.  It took about 15 minutes to sync
10Gigs of data.  So for 36 Gig, would be less than an hour.  You can check
to see if the normal transfer also is also 5 Mbytes/sec.  If it is, than it
is not drbd issue.  It is a network performance/configuration issue.

> Below is my(common) drbd.conf:
> resource drbd_home {
>   protocol = C
>   fsckcmd  = fsck -p -y

For reiser, should use fsckcmd = /bin/true