[DRBD-user] ext3 problems?

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Feb 23 11:23:25 CET 2004

/ 2004-02-23 10:23:10 +0100
\ Lars Marowsky-Bree:
> On 2004-02-23T09:53:15,
>    "R.B. (Rick)" <black.hawk at email.it> said:
>
> > i've installed drbd last friday and it was ok...now this morning i have
> > this error:
> >
> > mkdir: cannot create directory
> > `/drbd-disk/bb/bbvar/histlogs/fastint_radio_net': Input/output error
>
> You fail to include information such as kernel version, drbd version,
> messages from the system logfiles, and what you have been running on the
> devices et cetera.

I don't think this is relevant here.

I suspect you did not create the file system on top of DRBD,
but vice versa, effectivly cropping an already existing filesystem...
Most likely you only did get your "disk-size" parameter wrong.

Just in case: it is NOT the value reported as available by df,
its the partition size, i.e. look at it with fdisk!

There is nothing wrong with using an existing filesystem.
It is only that the new peers block device has to be at least as
big as the old local one, and you have to get the disk-size
parameter right (or leave it off completely, but then you get
other "problems" in the degraded case).

If you fail to do so, you effectively dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/floppy.
You might be able to mount it, and it might survive some access,
but as soon as you try to access parts of it that are beyond the
end of /dev/floppy, you are in trouble.

	Lars Ellenberg