[DRBD-user] disk size

Andreas Huck drbd at huck.it
Thu Feb 12 19:13:07 CET 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 14:12, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
[...]
> > > Can I change the disk-size parameter to say 10G (in drbd.conf) so that
> > > sync time is reduced and later when I need more space, increase it?
> > > Will there be any problem if I proceed this way?
> >
> > the disk-size in drbd.conf just needs to be larger or equal to the size
> > of your filesystem on top of it. So if you use reiserfs, for example, you
> > may do the following:
> >
> > 1) stop heartbeat on both nodes (/proc/drbd shows both as secondary)
> > 2) drbdsetup /dev/nb0 primary  (on node A)
> > 2) resize_reiserfs -s 10G /dev/nb0 (on node A)
> >    Beware: shrinking is experimental. If its a new system, just
> >    create a 10G filesystem (and a filesystem which allows to enlarge it).
> > 3) drbdsetup /dev/nb0 secondary
> > 4) Comment out the original (or final) disk-size and set it to 10G in
> >    your /etc/drbd.conf (hm, don't know whether it understands the G,
> >    just copy-n-past $((10*1024*1024)) from your bash :-)
>
> uhm. please do 4) before  2),
> and make sure that the new device size shows up in drbdsetup /dev/nbX show

if the original (final) size was larger than 10G than resizing (shrinking) the
filesystem (2) before shrinking the (drbd) disk is advisable, or do I get
something wrong here?  If I make the drbd disk smaller before resizing the
filesystem properly to the smaller size than I wouldn't be able to access
all of the filesystem via /dev/nbX anymore.
Of course, if I increase the filesystem I should increase /dev/nbX first.

> ! yes, it understands G.
                                   ^^ ah, here it is ;-)

Andreas