[DRBD-user] Question regarding read_inode_bitmap: cannot read inode bitmap -> IO failure

Roberto Nibali ratz at tac.ch
Fri Dec 3 12:52:00 CET 2004

Hello,

Reading [1] on the subject, I learn that two things can cause that:

a. meta data is on top of en existing filesystem
b. internal meta data is used but mkfs was done on lower level device

I'd like to share what I believe was our setup procedure for the DRBD
installation for a HA cluster:

1. Configure two scsi disks of 74GB with 1 partition
2. Set label to "Linux Raid Autodectect"
3. Create raidtab
4. mkraid /dev/md0
[... RAID is synching ...]
5. mke2fs -j /dev/md0
6. tunefs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/md0
7. Create drbd.conf with device /dev/drbd0, disk /dev/md0 and meta-disk-internal
8. Repeat 1-7 on second node
9. Invoke /etc/init.d/drbd start

Do you see something in this shortened installation guideline that applies to
either a or b? If so could you kindly tell me where and how to address this?

[1] http://marc.free.net.ph/message/20040919.215542.e4c54ac6.html

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
addr://Rathausgasse 31, CH-5001 Aarau  tel://++41 62 823 9355
http://www.terreactive.com             fax://++41 62 823 9356