[DRBD-user] Installation problems with Red Hat 9

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Aug 20 19:00:26 CEST 2004

/ 2004-08-20 17:04:06 +0100
\ Antony J. Shepherd:
> Hello,
>
> Basically, I'm stuck with RH9.0 due to the machines we're using
> requiring a specific set of hardware drivers which aren't available for
> any later version of Linux. It also means I'm stuck with the 2.4.20-8
> kernel, and as the machines have hyperthreading processord they're using
> the smp version.
>
> I'm trying to use DRBD 0.7.2, and it builds OK, but I get:-
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/block/drbd.o
>
> If I type 'modprobe drbd' I get loads of 'unresolved symbol' errors.
>
> Any suggestions? We've been quite successfully using drbd 0.6.6 on other
> servers, and I didn't have any installation problems with that, to the
> point where I've been considering stepping back to that old version!

do what you think is neccessary.
I suggest that you follow the steps outlined in INSTALL.

read it.
again.

n case you did not read it, in short:
install kernel-source.rpm (NOT kernel.src.rpm... that is something
different, and will not help!), configure the kernel source as your running
kernel is configured (see make cloneconfig etc.), maybe adjust the
EXTRAVERSION in your kernel source toplevel Makefile, and what else is
listet in "preparing the kernel source"...
then adjust what is neccessary in drbd_config.h, compile and install.

if it compiles fine but you still get unresolved symbols, then you
compiled against kernel sources that do not match your running kernel.
you really must get the kernel source preparation step right.
you really must get the kernel source preparation step right.
you really must get the kernel source preparation step right.

 ;)

	Lars Ellenberg