[DRBD-user] Re: loop device and eth0 loop-back + latest version

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri Apr 23 19:29:36 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 13:02, Nuno Tavares wrote:

> Regarding if I need or not DRBD: I'm studying (Open)GFS, (Open)AFS and
> Intermezzo, as well as DRBD.
> I really liked what you are doing here, but I need a solution *fast*.

Assuming you need fault-resistence, OpenGFS is a bad choice.

OpenGFS does not yet have a released version without a SPOF (single
point of failure).

In all released versions the lock server (memexp) is a SPOF.

Intel and CA have engineers working on integrating OpenDLM with
OpenGFS.  Once that is done, OpenGFS will be configurable to use OpenDLM
instead of memexp. Pre-alpha quality code for that is available in their
respective cvs repositories, but nothing usable even if you assume all
the nodes are functional.  They are just now starting on the node
failure cases.

FYI: I have no knowledge about GFS.  I don't even know if it is still
commercial, or if it has already been make opensource.  (Redhat bought
Sistina in Jan., and per their press release they were going to
opensource GFS.  I think the plan is to eventually get GFS into a
supported Redhat release.)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer