[DRBD-user] DRBD and LVM Snapshot with 2 nodes configuration

Andreas Semt as at computer-leipzig.de
Wed Apr 7 22:15:38 CEST 2004

Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> / 2004-04-07 21:09:32 +0200
> \ Andreas Semt:

>>nodeA (Heartbeat and drbd active), nodeB (Heartbeat and drbd standby).
>>To make a clean and consistent snapshot i will do following (all on nodeB!):
>>a) stop heartbeat (at 02.00 pm per cron for example), i.e. that means
>>   for heartbeat: "nodeB is dead!, i am the only one left!"
>>b) -> result: no further drbd mirroring will be done, the master is
>>   still the master (nodeA), nodeA and nodeB knows nothing from each
>>   other
>

> What makes you think so?

nodeB is down, cause i shut down heartbeat on nodeB. I thought heartbeat
is aware of this, only nodeA left. Okay, incorrect again.
> [snip]
>

>>Pro: nodeA is still active / services are online
>>Con: How to say drbd that is will be shut down in 5 minutes (it is 01:55
>>pm, heartbeat/drbd shutdown at 02:00 pm)? Does exists a command for drbd
>>to say: "In five minutes you will lost your connection to your primary
>>partner, so please write all the stuff in the buffer (of nodeA
>>(primary)) and then disconnect and stay on your own"? or to say to the
>>primary partner: "Please write all your pending data (from the buffer)
>>to your partner (in secondary state), cause that is the last chance if
>>you won't like the idea of inconsistent data between you and your partner"?
>

> You keep suggesting the same thing again and again.

I try not to do so. Really!

> No.  And, DBRD does not do any buffering.

Mhm ... why there is a option "-S, --sndbuf-size size", from the
drbdsetup man page:
--- snip ---
The  socket  send  buffer  is  used  to store packets sent to the
secondary node, which are not yet acknowledged (from a network point of
view) by the secondary node.
--- snap ---

> It is the file system (that is the mounted file system instance on the
> DRBD primary node), that needs to be notified, and there currently just
> is no way to do so in a sensible manner. One need to hack up some
> existing or new tools, and probably the drbd api too, for this to work.
> Could be done. Probably won't be too complicated. Just takes some time
> to do it the right way, and nobody has done this so far.

Perhaps that is a challenge ... sometime ;-)

That is my lack of understanding:

What happens with nodeB if the heartbeat AND drbd connection to nodeA
(who is Master/primary) get lost? Can I do anything useful with nodeB
(and the data on it) or means that for heartbeat/drbd "nodeB is
completely broken, repair it!"? Because the situation stated below can
happen, or not?

| 	|    ethernet / serial wire			|	|

Thanks (again) for helping me understanding all that stuff!

--
Best regards,
Andreas Semt