[DRBD-user] Initial Sync - Fast then really slow

Travis Kriza travman at mtcperformance.com
Tue Apr 6 02:08:56 CEST 2004

Hello.  Just getting DRBD setup on some boxes to do some NFS serving.
Running a shared volume of about 40gigs.  Anyways, I've got it running
on a set of HPs running RedHat Enterprise 3 w/ ultramonkey.

Anyways, first I completely missed the sync limits in the drbd.conf
file, and was wondering what was taking so long.  40Gigs at 1Meg max
would take a while.  Anyways, I knocked that max up to 100M (running a
shared gigabit switch).

So, I reset the sync, and I notice its going a decent clip in the 40meg
range.  I distract myself and get to another chore.  I come back to the
machine and notice this rate has dropped to about 500.  (It happens to
do this not too far after reaching near the 10gig mark).  I knocked up
the sync-min to 10megs.  However, this is still occurring and I'm not
quite sure whats going on.

I am running an IDE software raid on each box as well, which I know
could have some impact on performance, although I'm guessing it should
be capable of sustaining more throughput than just 500k/s.

Any idea's?  Thanks,

Travis

PS... Here is a trimmed version of the drdb.conf file:

#
# drbd.conf example
#

resource drbd0 {

   protocol = C

   fsckcmd  = fsck -p -y

   disk {
     do-panic
    disk-size = 40313912k
   }

   net {

     sync-min    = 10M
     sync-max    = 100M    # maximal average syncer bandwidth
     tl-size     = 5000  # transfer log size, ensures strict write
ordering
     timeout     = 60    # unit: 0.1 seconds
     connect-int = 10    # unit: seconds
     ping-int    = 10    # unit: seconds
     ko-count    = 4     # if some block send times out this many times,
                         # the peer is considered dead, even if it still
                         # answeres ping requests
   }

   on server-1 {
     device  = /dev/nb0