[DRBD-user] database on drbd

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Apr 1 02:27:52 CEST 2004

Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> / 2004-03-05 06:37:46 -0800
> \ abhin.g.s @ RASC:
> > hi,
<SNIP>
> >   i am finding a small trouble with the drbd configuration i am
> > having, if i shutdown the nodes with shutdown -h 0, one at a
> > time and reboot at next time, the secondary node will take
> > around 4 min to sync up. is it normal or any problem?
>
> Best you move both to secondary state while they are still
> connected, then shut down the network and everything else.
>
> Probably you have to tweak a little bit the order of your
> init.d/*/* resource scripts.
>
>         Lars Ellenberg

As I think I am seeing the result of this, it bit me when I took both nodes
down yesterday, please tell me if this interpretation is correct.

node paul, drbd primary and heartbeat active node exporting drives.
node saul, drbd secondary and ignoring the rest of the world but paul.

on saul, issue `shutdown -h now`
wait for saul to power down fully.
write ~6Mb to a drbd controlled filesystem.
on paul, issue `shutdown -h now`
wait for paul to power down fully.

boot paul, allow it to start loading the kernel (i.e. a large head start) then
boot saul.

expected result (from my brain): SyncingQuick
only a little bit changed on paul, and saul was never in primary after it or
paul went down, AND paul got to come back first.

experienced result (cat /proc/drbd): SyncingAll

so both nodes have to be in secondary (and both know it) before either goes
down, and stay that way until repowered.

 Correct???

--
Todd Denniston