[Drbd-dev] state of drbd in mainline

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Wed Mar 30 20:06:25 CEST 2022

On Wed, Mar 30 2022 at 11:23P -0400,
Philipp Reisner <philipp.reisner at linbit.com> wrote:

> > > Jens, my intention is to keep it in-tree, and at some point update it.
> > > Regarding your questions:
> >
> > That'd be great, but it's been years since there was any significant
> > updates to the in-kernel drbd... I would strongly suggest that the
> > in-kernel be brought closer to what people are mostly running, as it
> > stands it's basically unmaintained.
>
> The changes we worked on over many Years in the more recent drbd-9.x
> branches are just too fundamental to do them in small chunks, we could
> upstream bit by bit.  We need to get that reviewed in a big series.  If I
> started to dump them on linux-block right away, nobody would look at it
> seriously, since it would be too much.  I intend to get people from red
> hat/suse assigned to do such a review. Then we will do that on linux-block,
> so that everyone who cares sees what happens.

Why do you think Red Hat, SUSE or any other distro vendor's engineers
should be made to review what amounts to be a massive dump of changes
you developed over years?

Presummably you have heard of "upstream first"!?  Why do you think it
doesn't apply to drbd?

It'd be one thing if drbd never went upstream but _it did_.  As is
your development model is completely wrong.

Mike