[Drbd-dev] state of drbd in mainline

Jens Axboe axboe at kernel.dk
Tue Mar 29 14:29:40 CEST 2022

On 3/29/22 1:50 AM, Philipp Reisner wrote:
>> The complete lack of bug reports and maintainer interaction usually
>> suggests low to no use and heavy bitrot.  If that is not the case
>> here that's fine, just asking..
>>

> FYI, feature-wise the in-tree DRBD is frozen. Maintenance only. Users,
> seeking advanced
> features switch to the out-of-tree DRBD and use other means of communication:
> Github issues, linbit's community slack channel, last not least
> linbit's ticketing system.
>
> That is why you see virtually no activity.

I've been thinking the same thing. Even if most users are out-of-tree, you'd
still expect to see at least some reports on the list. A few followup
questions:

- Why aren't the drbd maintainers responding to posted patches? They seem
  to simply be ignored, and I'm left to pickup the trivial ones that look
  fine to me. In-kernel drbd appears largely unmaintained, and has been for
  years.

- Even if out-of-band communication is used for in-kernel users of drbd,
  that doesn't result in any patches or fixes that should go upstream?

- If there's zero activity for in-kernel drbd, all users are using the
  out-of-tree version?

As far as I can tell, drbd upstream is stone cold dead, and has been for
years. Why shouldn't it just get removed? Is it just bait to get people
to use an out-of-tree version?

--
Jens Axboe