[Drbd-dev] remove kernel_setsockopt and kernel_getsockopt v2

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Sat May 23 09:23:16 CEST 2020

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 09:54:36PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> this series removes the kernel_setsockopt and kernel_getsockopt
> functions, and instead switches their users to small functions that
> implement setting (or in one case getting) a sockopt directly using
> a normal kernel function call with type safety and all the other
> benefits of not having a function call.
>
> In some cases these functions seem pretty heavy handed as they do
> a lock_sock even for just setting a single variable, but this mirrors
> the real setsockopt implementation unlike a few drivers that just set
> set the fields directly.

Hi Dave and other maintainers,

can you take a look at and potentially merge patches 1-30 while we
discuss the sctp refactoring?  It would get a nice headstart by removing
kernel_getsockopt and most kernel_setsockopt users, and for the next
follow on I wouldn't need to spam lots of lists with 30+ patches again.