[Drbd-dev] Protocol C

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu May 29 23:29:17 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:45:32PM +0200, raulhp wrote:

> El 2014-05-28 20:36, Lars Ellenberg escribió:

> >>develop

> >>All this it´s ok!

> >>I want to implement a mcast with NACK, where the receiver send NACK
> >>message to the sender when the receiver detects a loss packet, and
> >>the sender send the packet in question, with this is possible
> >>guarantee all writes in the remote node and reduce the traffic in
> >>the network.

> >>It´s ok

> >>log.
> >>best

> >>This is ok, but with Multicast communication is necesary to use UDP
> >>Protocol with Reliability.
> >
> >Of course.
> >So?
> >
> >We already have a "NACK", in the DRBD protocol,
> >which carries the meaning "failed to serve this request"
> >(the IO subsystem of the peer reported failure).
>
> The NACK in te DRBD protocol is used in Protocol C? or?

Always.

You do realize that there is
  * the transport protocol (TCP)
  * the DRBD protocol

*BOTH*
tcp and DRBD-protocol have "acks" and "nacks",
and they mean different things.

DRBD ACKs (actually: P_WRITE_ACK in protocol C, for other variants see
enum drbd_packet) mean that the corresponding request has been completed
by the remote disk.

DRBD NACKs (P_NEG_ACK) mean that the remote disk was not able to process
the request, or tried and failed (IO-error).

On the TCP level, the TCP acks and stuff has the TCP meaning.

With a "reliable multicast transport" for DRBD,
you will need transport specific messages.
the DRBD protocol on top of that won't care much,
as long as it eventually gets the P_WRITE_ACK
or P_NEG_ACK.

> >Lets not overload the term "nack",
> >and use the term "retransmit request",
> >because that is basically what a "nack"
> >in any reliable multicast protocol is supposed to trigger:
> >retransmit of not received messages.
>
> Yes, the term "NACK" works well

I just tried to explain why the term NACK does NOT work,
and why I suggest to use retransmit request instead :-/

> >Am I misunderstanding your question?
> You understand my question :-) only y want to understand how to use
> existing code of ACK for multicast

I don't think it works that way.

--
: Lars Ellenberg