[Drbd-dev] DRBD Trim/discard

Eric Wheeler drbd at ew.ewheeler.org
Thu Sep 26 21:01:40 CEST 2013

Hello all,

We would like to run DRBD backed by thin-provisioned volumes (think ZFS or
dm-thinp) which require discard support to dereference unused block
allocations.  (I searched around for DRBD trim/discard support with little
commentary except the reference [1] below which does not apply to our use
case.)

Is discard support on the roadmap?

What are the technical considerations for implementation?

I'm guessing this would be a relatively simple patch, just need to add a
discard flag to the wire protocol and pass that to the backing device
(after calculating the metadata offset, if any).

If you can comment on the desired implementation of such a feature and
point me in the right direction I may be able to write a patch and test.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

-Eric

[1] http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2012-March/017987.html

--
Eric Wheeler