[Drbd-dev] [GIT PULL] drbd-8.4 for mainline

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Sep 23 16:18:20 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 11:48:17AM +0200, Lutz Vieweg wrote:
> On 08/24/2011 04:41 PM, Philipp Reisner wrote:
> >   This release brings a new meta-data format. Forward (8.3 ->  8.4)
> >   conversion happens complete seamless.
>
> Well, it may happen seamless unless you reboot the machine before
> it has completed the resyncing with the other (still 8.3 running)
> machine.
>
> I happened to require yet some other kernel setting (unrelated to DRBD),
> installed the changed kernel, while one DRBD resource was still syncing
> (for the first time after upgrading to 8.4), and rebooted (clean shutdown/restart).
>
> After the reboot, DRBD complained about not finding valid meta data
> on the device, and I had to write new metadata and perform a full sync
> to rectify the situation.

You probably had 8.4 userland already, but 8.3 module loaded still?

If you then unload the 8.3 module (no more /proc/drbd),
then do "drbdadm apply-al all".  That should "fix" it.

Otherwise, please tell us how to reproduce, and we will figure out what
needs to be improved during the upgrade/downgrade paths.

--
: Lars Ellenberg