[Drbd-dev] [GIT PULL] DRBD bits for 2.6.39

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Thu Mar 10 13:10:38 CET 2011

[...]
> Now that I have your attention... Did you look at the plugging changes?

You always have it :)
I looked at the changes, and I noticed that we no longer get the unplug
events.

> As Christoph mentioned, you seem to be passing plugging information on
> the wire. What is the reason for that? With the on-stack plugging, these
> events are not seen by the block device anymore.

Imagine DRBD in synchronous mode (protocol C in DRBD speak) on an older
kernel. We mirror a write, in order to get the write-ack packet from the
peer, the peer needs to unplug as well. -> Send the unplug events via the
wire.

Now, it we would connect a current-head-of-git DRBD on one node to
a older one (which still needs unplug packets to respond quickly),
we would have a tar pit block device. (At least for single synchronous
writes)

We are in brainstorming mode right now here.
One idea is to have a timer, that gets touched with every request we get
in, in case it expires, we send out a unplug event over the wire.

But having the unplug events would be more elegant of course...

Best,
 Phil
--
: Dipl-Ing Philipp Reisner
: Tel: +43-1-8178292-50, Fax: +43-1-8178292-82

DRBD(R) and LINBIT(R) are registered trademarks of LINBIT, Austria.