[Drbd-dev] DRBD + DM = EIO.

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu May 27 11:01:25 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:21:27PM -0400, Ben Timby wrote:
> I posted a couple times to drbd-user, but I think this list is
> actually the correct forum for what I am experiencing. I will
> reiterate all the information have at this time below.
>
> I have two matched machines. They have 15 SATA hard drives in a raid 5
> array. I am using LVM to split this array into two volumes. I am then
> using DRBD to replicate these two volumes. On top of DRBD, I have two
> more LVM volumes, on which I can create (replicated) snapshots. These
> volumes each contain a single file system which is ext4, the size is
> 10.84TB per volume.
>
> The OS is CentOS 5.4, I am running DRBD 8.3.7, I built an RPM using
> the instructions provided in the DRBD users guide. I am using the
> 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5 kernel on an x86_64 processor.
>
> I am intermittently receiving the following error in /var/log/messages:
>
> -
> May 10 00:05:11 ragoon6 kernel: block drbd1: p read: error=-5
> -
>
> I tracked this down to the function drbd_endio_pri, after this error
> occurs, DRBD goes into diskless mode, shovelling reads/writes to it's
> peer. Once in diskless mode, I no longer receive this error, but I
> can't run this way.
>
> I removed DRBD from the mix, thus I have RAID -> LVM -> LVM -> EXT4,
> and I get no EIO errors.
>
> I found that I can immediately trigger this error by starting a raid
> rebuild on the underlying array (while DRBD is in the stack). I do
> this by executing the weekly cron job that is part of the mdadm
> package on CentOS:
>
> # /etc/cron.weekly/99-raid-check
>
> I rebuilt the RPM and added a call to dump_stack() in the
> drbd_endio_pri function. Below is the stack trace.

> I just started walking the stack trace in my kernel sources to try to
> locate the issue. However, I am hopeful that a DRBD developer can help
> me to find the (I am assuming) bug in interaction between
> device-mapper and DRBD.

You most likely hit
http://git.drbd.org/?p=drbd-8.3.git;a=commitdiff;h=7fda00aacaf772253167d4ddb1eaa847862d6332;hp=3d36021c59c09e2bf37b82204b0df556de03ec0d

 :(

What is missing from that commit message is that a "failed"
(intentionally not served) READA will be considered
a real local IO error and cause DRBD to detach.

Hth,

--
: Lars Ellenberg