[Drbd-dev] [GIT PULL] DRBD for 2.6.32

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Sep 22 00:27:21 CEST 2009

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 18:53:21 +0200
Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 04:52:52PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:43:08 +0200
> > Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
> > > We can choose whatever user-kernel interface you like,
> > > and change it with every dot release --
> > > we'd just need to add additional compat code into
> > > the drbdsetup userland binary.
> >
> > uh no.
> >
> > the kernel<->userspace ABI is stable.
> > we don't go about randomly changing it
> > (extending it is fine obviously)
>
> That's not what I meant, of course that is and needs to be stable.
> Sorry, I exagerated to make a point.
>
> Point was:
> mdadm configured md.
> dmsetup configured dm.
> drbdsetup configure drbd.
>
> If and when "something" is done to "unify" things on the implementation
> level, it is likely to also unify the "kernel<->userspace" configuration
> interface.
>
> If it happens, once that happens, that _will_ be an ABI break.

You misunderstand the raid unification.

We will not unify the kernel<->userspace configuration interface
because we can't break the kernel<->userspace ABI.

We plan to unify the multiple device frameworks, but the unified
framework must support the all existing ABIs.

So adding another 'drbd' ABI hurts us.