[Drbd-dev] DRBD8: Split-brain if primary and syncTarget

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Mon Mar 12 15:52:16 CET 2007

Am Montag, 12. März 2007 15:28 schrieb Philipp Reisner:
> Am Donnerstag, 8. März 2007 23:21 schrieb Montrose, Ernest:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are seeing an issue with split brain if one node is syncing as
> > syncTarget while being Primary.
> > two node A and B.
> > * make B primary and the syncTarget
> > * Start a sync.
> > * ifdown eth1 to break communication
> > * ifup eth1.
> > * then on the node in standalone "drbdadm connect"
> > We get a split-brain.
> >
> > I think the  problem is that if we are primary and we lose contact from
> > the other side we generate a new current UUID which causes a Split-Brain
> > next time we connect.
> > This only happens if we are the sync target and we are primary. Perhaps
> > we should not generate a UUID if we were syncing when the disconnect
> > happen. Below is a possible patch for this in after_state_ch():
>
> Hi Ernest,
>
> I think the current behaviour is correct.
>
> * When a node is SyncTarget it actually exposes the data of the sync
>   source node to its applications. (And the applications can potentially
>   see the data when the SyncTarget node is primary.)
>
> * When you disconnect such a node, it has to fall back to its local
>   data set. == suddenly the applications see a different data set,
>   and of course the apps might continue to modify this data set...
>
> * Wen you reconnect this, you have a split brain situation. But you
>   might let the automatic-split-brain resolving handler solve the
>   situation. Use some after-sb-?pri settings, and an rr-conflict of
>   "violently" E.g.:
>
>   after-sb-0pri discard-least-changes
>   after-sb-1pri violently-as0p
>   after-sb-2pri violently-as0p
>   rr-conflict   violently
>
>   Then the resync should continue. Since the "violently" allows DRBD
>   to change the data set again, that is seen on the Primary node.

Hmmm. I just had a look at the code in drbd_sync_handshake(), and came
to the conclusion that the handling of the inconsistent disk state was
a bit obscure.

With the attached patch the after-sb-?pri settings are of no impact
this such an situation any longer. Only the "rr-conflict" setting
should influence the outcome...

If it works for you with that patch, I will commit it...

-phil
: Vivenotgasse 48, 1120 Vienna, Austria        http://www.linbit.com :