[Drbd-dev] Re: drbd_panic() in drbd_receiver.c

Graham, Simon Simon.Graham at stratus.com
Wed Jul 5 16:27:31 CEST 2006

Thanks Philip,

I realize I will have to rework this for DRBD 8 - oh well!

One thing I think is important here is that when an error occurs in the middle of resyncing, I was thinking we should make sure we finish up as much as possible of the resync; this allows the disk to become sane again if the bad block in question is fixed up -- for example, if a subsequent write to the block is done to a bad block and it also allows most accesses to be local if we end up failing over primaryness -- so I was thinking we should not simply abandon the resync as soon as an error is detected...

On the other hand, perhaps this would be an easier way to handle the issue -- simply abandon the current resync as soon as an error is detected and live with the fact that there are potentially many following blocks that could be synchronized but which will not be -- I suspect this would be much easier to implement in both 7 and 8... I think the only remaining question would then be what the strategy for restarting the resync in this case -- it would be nice if the disk could eventually become consistent again...

I appreciate your guidance and time,
Simon