[Drbd-dev] freeze under postmark io bench

Laurent Denel ldenel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 19:17:22 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm currently experiencing freezes with drbd each time I run PostMark,
an io benchmark from NetApp. It was working all right on a 2.6.12
kernel and version 0.7.11 but I'm currently switching to 2.6.15 with
version 0.7.15.

Freezes occur on the primary node while creating thousands of files.
Secondary node is not impacted.

I've tried latest svn commit (2064) and kernel 2.6.15.4. Same problem.
My kernel is configured with high memory support (64GB), PREEMPT, ...
The filesystem drbd is on is xfs. Hardware is a pair of DL380 from HP.
Network for drbd is a private Gb link on bcm5700 interfaces.

You can find the postmark benchmark here :
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~syrah/filesystems/code/postmark-1_13.c
(The one we really use is 1_5 but I cannot find it anymore on the
Netapp website, I can post it if needed)

It's configured this way :
    set number 200000
    set transactions 1000000
    set size 500 10240
    set read 4096
    set write 4096

Here is my drbd.conf:
global {
        minor-count 5;
        dialog-refresh 5;
}

resource vol0 {
        protocol C;
        incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep
60 ; halt -f";

        startup {
                wfc-timeout 60;
                degr-wfc-timeout 120;
        }

        disk {
                on-io-error detach;
        }

        net {
                on-disconnect reconnect;
        }

        syncer {
                rate 100M;
                group 1;
                al-extents 257;
        }

        on bwinf5401 {
                device /dev/drbd0;
                disk /dev/cciss/c0d0p10;
                meta-disk /dev/cciss/c0d0p7[0];
                address 10.0.0.1:7789;
        }

        on bwinf5402 {
                device /dev/drbd0;
                disk /dev/cciss/c0d0p10;
                meta-disk /dev/cciss/c0d0p7[0];
                address 10.0.0.2:7789;
        }
}

Here are my /proc/partitions :
major minor  #blocks  name

 104     0  142253280 cciss/c0d0
 104     1    1048559 cciss/c0d0p1
 104     2    1048560 cciss/c0d0p2
 104     3    2097120 cciss/c0d0p3
 104     4          1 cciss/c0d0p4
 104     5    1048559 cciss/c0d0p5
 104     6    1048559 cciss/c0d0p6
 104     7    1048544 cciss/c0d0p7
 104     8    2003264 cciss/c0d0p8
 104     9   58596944 cciss/c0d0p9
 104    10   74313104 cciss/c0d0p10
 147     0   74313104 drbd0

I've attached my .config.

Hope you will find this useful. I can test patched versions and would
be glad to do so.

Thanks in advance,
LD