[Drbd-dev] Another drbd race

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Tue Sep 7 14:06:31 CEST 2004

On 2004-09-07T13:32:02,
   Philipp Reisner <philipp.reisner at linbit.com> said:

> > similar after bootup:
> >   we refuse to be promoted to Primary from Secondary/Unknown,
> >   unless we got an explicit "peer dead" confirmation by someone.
> >
> > does that make any sense?
> >
> I like it a lot!
>
> Thus we will not call it "drbdadm resume-io r0" but
> "drbdadm peer-dead r0"

The drbd proof of concept Resource Agent I wrote actually calls this
command "mark-peer-dead", so we are quite in alignment ;-)

Note that in particular this could be set before even drbd itself
notices; which is more easily understood than getting a "resume_io"
command before drbd had even suspended IO.

> Also the question at the startup-user-dialog:
>
> Is the peer dead ?
>
> Is easier to get right....

Yep. It's also much easier to code for.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering	   \\\  ///
SUSE Labs, Research and Development \honk/