[DRBD-announce] drbd-9.1.7

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Wed Apr 20 22:33:17 CEST 2022

Hello,

Since rc.2 we fixed the issue on Linux 5.15. Other than that I am
repeating the text I wrote for rc.2: We were working on smaller
issues with unfreezing IO-requests after quorum loss and regaining
quorum. At this point, one thing gave the other. We discovered how difficult
it is to gracefully recover a primary node that lost quorum. It was like a
super narrow path, where every misstep led to the need to reboot the
node. Examples:
  * When you did a drbdadm secondary while someone held the device open (a
    mounted FS) -> deadlock [fixed now].
  * You needed to reconfigure 'on-no-quorum' from 'suspend' to 'io-error' and
    then unmount the filesystem
  * Finally, make the node secondary and re-integrate it with the others

Changing the DRBD configuration just for recovering a node is not
practicable when we advertise to use LINSTOR for configuring DRBD. The
end-users are even not aware of LINSTOR but use it through the Kubernetes
and the linstor CSI driver.

The solution: drbdadm secondary --force
Starting with the next drbd-utils v9.21 a forced demotion allows you to make
a primary with suspended IOs secondary. All the frozen IO requests terminate
with IO-errors, causing the filesystem to go into read-only mode. Unmount
it. Recovery finished.
For a similar purpose, it got a new configuration option
'on-suspended-primary-outdated' which you can set to 'force-secondary'. This
enables automatic recovery of such a primary lost quorum IO suspended
node. When it connects to a partition that has a primary with a more recent
data generation it automatically demotes the primary with the older data and
frozen IO.

It also got compatibility with up to Linux 5.15.

9.1.7 (api:genl2/proto:110-121/transport:17)
--------
 * avoid deadlock upon trying to down an io-frozen DRBD device that
   has a file system mounted
 * fix DRBD to not send too large resync requests at multiples of 8TiB
 * fix for a "forgotten" resync after IO was suspended due to lack of quorum
 * refactored IO suspend/resume fixing several bugs; the worst one could
   lead to premature request completion
 * disable discards on diskless if diskful peers do not support it
 * make demote to secondary a two-phase state transition; that guarantees that
   after demotion, DRBD will not write to any meta-data in the cluster
 * enable "--force primary" in for no-quorum situations
 * allow graceful recovery of primary lacking quorum and therefore
   have frozen IO requests; that includes "--force secondary"
 * following upstream changes to DRBD up to Linux 5.15 and updated compat

https://pkg.linbit.com//downloads/drbd/9/drbd-9.1.7.tar.gz
https://github.com/LINBIT/drbd/commit/bfd2450739e3e27cfd0a2eece2cde3d94ad993ae