[DRBD-announce] drbd-reactor v0.5.1

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Tue Nov 30 14:51:43 CET 2021

Dear DRBD users,

This is drbd-reactor v0.5.1, fixing a bug mainly relevant for LINBIT
vSAN, and introducing a smaller feature, both in the promoter plugin.

The feature is that we now also override the Description field in our
service overrides, which makes reading logs/systemdctl status a bit
nicer. drbd-reactor controlled services show up like this:

mnt-test.mount - drbd-reactor controlled mnt-test

The bug that was fixed occurs in combination with the
"stop-services-on-exit" config option. If set, the controlled services
(i.e., the drbd-services at .target) is stopped whenever the plugin exits.
This can be a `drbd-reactorctl disable ...`, or even a `systemctl stop
drbd-reactor`. vSAN sets that option, which makes it easy to switch over
all services by stopping the drbd-reactor service. And this is where it
gets complicated, I just quote the commit message for this fix:

Commit 27d798e0 introduced setting Before=drbd-reactor.service in the
generated drbd-services@ target overrides. While a good idea in general
(see that particular commit), it also can create a situation where the
user issues a `systemctl stop drbd-reactor` (expecting switch-over),
which then blocks as: drbd-reactor.service wants to shut down and
promoter wants to `systemctl stop` the target unit. But this contains
the mentioned Before= and wants drbd-reactor to be gone first. Blocks
and timeouts.

We can borrow Pacemaker behavior by writing the Before= in a extra
override and when the plugin detects it is responsible for shutdown, it
then can:
- rm that particular Before= override file.
- systemctl daemon-reload
- systemctl stop the target (that now does not have the Before=
  dependency on drbd-reactor.service)

All fine, but with that we saw another behavior becoming a show stopper:
systemd.mount(5) automatically adds a Before= dependency on
local-fs.target unless "nofail" is specified. That in combination with
what was described above made systemd fail with a cyclic dependency on
"reboot". That can be solved by setting "nofail" as an option, or what
looks even a slightly better in our case by setting
"DefaultDependencies=no".

Regards, rck

GIT: https://github.com/LINBIT/drbd-reactor/commit/3b521bacec0957725ed00e2ada0c691edbdde9d4
TGZ: https://pkg.linbit.com//downloads/drbd/utils/drbd-reactor-0.5.1.tar.gz