[DRBD-announce] DRBD Management Console 0.7.0
rasto.levrinc at linbit.com
Fri Mar 19 11:07:39 CET 2010
This is the next DRBD-MC beta release 0.7.0. DRBD-MC, that is also a
Pacemaker GUI, is a Java application that helps to configure
DRBD/Pacemaker/Corosync/Heartbeat clusters. It is compatible with Heartbeat
2.1.3 to the Pacemaker 1.0.8 with both available communication layers and
In this release resource defaults were added. This is one of the missing
features, that normal people would use, I think. You'll find it in next to
the global options if you cluster software supports it.
The great new feature are the different operating modes and advanced/not
advanced modes. Depending on the operating mode, the input fields and menus
are shown, hidden, enabled or disabled. For example an administrator that
does not configure the cluster, can quickly find what he needs, not to worry
removing or changing something he shouldn't. You can start the DRBD-MC with
maximum operating mode that is allowed for the user in the whole application
and change to the lesser modes on the fly. Of course it can be easily
circumvented so this is not a security feature, but...
Disabling and hiding of widgets, menus and whole panels should fit nicely
with the upcoming ACLs, as soon as they figure out how to do it.
Till then, the new operating modes make the configuration and administration
of a the cluster much easier, faster and almost enjoyable.
There are currently following "Operating Modes":
Read-Only (cmd option --ro):
read-only access is granted, you can view the cluster, add and remove
clusters to and from your DRBD MC, but you cannot change anything on the
cluster. This is somewhat equivalent to watching crm_mon, but way more
informative. Additionally you can start VNC Viewer to work with Virtual
you can do the basic tasks like stop, start and migrate resources and put
nodes to and out of standby, but also resolve DRBD split-brains for example.
All configuration options are hidden. This is, what it seems, about the
functionality that Hawk is going to have, but without operations on DRBD and
this level of access can create, configure, reconfigure and destroy, as well
as operate the whole cluster, but many most of the options are hidden. This
is a default operating mode.
Administrator (--admin)/ Advanced:
here are the options, that are seldom needed and/or I am not even sure what
Another but hidden operating mode is a God mode. This is useful, as the name
suggest, only for development and for testing.
You can get DRBD MC here:
You can start it with help of Java Web-Start or you can download it and
start it with "java -Xmx512m -jar DMC-0.7.0.jar" command. Make sure you use
the Java from SUN. The openjdk seems to work fine by some time now, but it
seems to run DRBD MC much slower than the original Java.
Here is the changelog:
* Removing of DRBD resources was fixed.
* VNC viewer menu in the cluster view was fixed.
* stonith-timeout and priority stonith attributes were added.
* stonith_ prefix for stonith devices in their ids is used.
* When group is stopped, it is indicated in the cluster view.
* "master" and "slave" target-roles for master slave resources were added.
* All missing meta-attributes for groups and clones were added.
* Advisory values from status, meta-data and validate-all operations are not
* Some global CRM parameters, that didn't have defaults, were fixed.
* Different operating modes were implemented.
* Terminal frame is started as collapsed now.
* Parsing of operation defaults was added.
* Resource defaults were added.
* Metal look-and-feel is forced so that it works on Macs.
* DRBD status after start is not delayed after start-up.
* GUI helper perl script got a version to its file name, so that different
versions of DRBD-MC can be used at the same time on one cluster.
* Smoother and faster start-up, when there are many resources.
: Dipl-Ing Rastislav Levrinc
: DRBD-MC http://www.drbd.org/mc/management-console/
: DRBD/HA support and consulting http://www.linbit.com/
DRBD(R) and LINBIT(R) are registered trademarks of LINBIT, Austria.
More information about the drbd-announce