[DRBD-user] getting drbd9 to work on RHEL7.6

Hoyt, David DHoyt at rbbn.com
Thu Mar 28 22:25:43 CET 2019

Hi all,

I'm having problems getting drbd9 to start on RHEL 7.6.

Previously was using drbd8 on RHEL6.
In that scenario, we had a bash script which had the following (at a high level):
(1) install the drbd packages
(2) update drbd config file(s) with resource data
 (3) create the meta data via 'drbdadm create-md <resource'>
(4) bring up the resource 'drbdadm up <resource>'
(5) determine which side was primary and set it: 'drbdadm primary --force <resource>'
(6) likewise, for the secondary: 'drbdadm secondary drbdadm secondary

The first node would be brought up and this scrip was executed.
The drbd-overview output would show that the remote resource was unavailable, as expected.
Eventually, the 2nd node is brought up, the above script executed, and the drbd resources would begin syncing.

Moving to drbd9 on RHEL7.6:
I tweaked the script a bit, but basically it's the same.
However, after it runs, the drbdadm status shows the resource as StandAlone:

[root at node1 ~]# drbdadm status
r0 role:Secondary
  disk:UpToDate
  node1.mycompany.com connection:StandAlone
[root at node1 ~]#

Later, I bring up the other node and same thing.

I then tried adding the following commands between steps (3) and (4):
systemctl start drbd
systemctl enable drbd

Problem now, is that the script hangs at the 'systemctl start drbd'.
Digging further, I find it's because it's waiting to connect to the remote resource.

[root at chris-nsp1 log]# systemctl status drbd
● drbd.service - DRBD -- please disable. Unless you are NOT using a cluster manager.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/drbd.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: activating (start) since Wed 2019-03-27 18:16:34 EST; 1min 47s ago
Main PID: 20321 (drbd)
    Tasks: 3
   CGroup: /system.slice/drbd.service
           ├─20321 /bin/bash /lib/drbd/drbd start
           ├─20352 drbdadm wait-con-int
           └─20353 drbdsetup wait-connect-resource r0

Ideally, I’d like to bring one node up (including the starting of drbd), perform some sanity operations, then, bring up the other node.
Is there a way to start/enable drbd without having to wait for the remote resource?

Regards,
David

Notice: This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon Communications Inc. that
is confidential and/or proprietary for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, disclosure, reliance or
distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.