[DRBD-user] Rescue a drbd partition

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Mon Jan 21 10:05:07 CET 2019

On 1/20/19 12:15 PM, Jeroen van Iddekinge wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have a qnap  nas (TS-851) that uses  DRBD over linux raid partition.
>
> The problem is that the device has a hardware problem and doesn't
> boot.    I want to rescue the data by attaching the disks to a
> computer, read the partition and copy the data.
>
> My question is, how can I access the files on the drbd partition?  I
> would like to do it as safe as possible
>
> Is there an easier way than installing a drbd server?

You do not need a DRBD installation to access the data on the disk or
partition, since any DRBD-specific meta data is at the end of the disk
(e.g., if there is a filesystem on the disk, then it is located behind
the filesystem).
Therefore, just mounting the filesystem from the disk or partition will
work as usual, it will just not update DRBD meta data, so DRBD would not
see any changes that you make (it would not resync automatically if you
reintegrated the disk into the NAS).

br,
Robert