[DRBD-user] Failed starting drbd after updating Fedora 30

Eddie Chapman eddie at ehuk.net
Mon Aug 12 16:41:30 CEST 2019

Hello Jamie,

On 12/08/2019 11:00, Jamie wrote:
> //Aug 12 11:28:34 ///serverjm/ drbdadm[8142]: Command 'drbdsetup-84
> new-resource VMNAME' terminated with exit code 20//

I'm not familiar in the slightest with how Fedora packages drbd in your
installation. However the above line strongly suggests to me that the
init script that is being run by systemd is a drbd8 script, whereas the
packages you have installed now appear to be drbd9 (9.5.0-2.fc30).

So evidently upgrading Fedora for you has involved also upgrading from
drbd8 to drbd9.

(By the way, do those Fedora package version numbers correspond to drbd
upstream release numbers? If so drbd kernel version 9.5 is quite old and
lots has been fixed since then. Again I know nothing about how the
distros package drbd these days as I install from source, but you should
be running the latest 9.0.19-1 kernel version if you care about your
data at all, and especially since Fedora ships a very recent kernel
version.)

There are some changes needed to your drbd configuration files when
upgrading from 8 to 9. So my suggestion would be (if you really are now
running drbd9 as you appear to be doing) that you go though those
configuration files and make the those changes (check the drbd9 docs for
what is needed), and then perhaps remove the existing v8 style init
script from systemd and re-add the new v9 one that comes with your
9.5.0-2.fc30 packages.

regards,
Eddie