[DRBD-user] Is it free?

Julien Escario julien.escario at altinea.fr
Wed Aug 7 18:48:05 CEST 2019

Hello,
Sorry, I won't answer to any of your questions (as I'm not using DRBD
for Kubernetes) but to anwser to your first question : Yes, DRBD/Linstor
is completely free and a really nice piece of software.

But as it's free, we'll have to learn most caveats (and there is) by
yourself, debug by yourself and after that, if possible, contribute.

So if you're askign for really precise questions, sometimes, someone
from Linbit is kind enough to answer or is interested as your concern
could also be a bug, but most of the time, you'll have to test and debug
(your setup) by yourself or wait for the community to give you advices.

That's how the game is played for open and/or free software.

Julien

P.S. : I tried to setup DRBD over wireguard and I confirm you'll have
far less througput and more latency (and CPU usage) than with
'classical' IP. It could be enough, depends on your needs.

Oh, and remember : if your setup is correct, all reads operations are
made for your LOCAL storage. Only writes are replicated (and rely highly
on latency for protocols B & C). Hint : there's not use case for protocol B.