[DRBD-user] notify-split-brain.sh[153967]: Environment variable $DRBD_PEER not found (this is normally passed in by drbdadm).

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Sep 18 16:51:06 CEST 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 04:36:54PM -0400, Daniel Ragle wrote:
> Anybody know where I need to start looking to figure this one out:
>
> notify-split-brain.sh[153967]: Environment variable $DRBD_PEER not found
> (this is normally passed in by drbdadm).
>
> I have a split-brain situation and apparently this notification script tried
> to run but failed.
>
> This is in a pacemaker setup with ocf:linbit:drbd controlling DRBD.
>
> # drbdadm --version
> DRBDADM_BUILDTAG=GIT-hash:\ fed9a1df82015e52c14c912fa4b93336e2ab4fcc\ build\
> by\ mockbuild@\,\ 2018-04-20\ 19:30:46
> DRBDADM_API_VERSION=2
> DRBD_KERNEL_VERSION_CODE=0x09000e
> DRBD_KERNEL_VERSION=9.0.14
> DRBDADM_VERSION_CODE=0x090301
> DRBDADM_VERSION=9.3.1

Yup, sorry, even though apparently they are still documented in the UG,
those "notify*.sh" example scripts are not fit for DRBD 9 :-(

You want to configure proper fencing anyways,
to *avoid* split brain instead of being "maybe"
(or maybe not) notified by email.

For now, if you feel comfortable patching the script,
you could try adding something like this:
if [[ $DRBD_PEER_NODE_ID ]] ; then
	k=DRBD_NODE_ID_${DRBD_PEER_NODE_ID};
	v=${!k};
	[[ $v ]] && DRBD_PEER=$v;
fi

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT | Keeping the Digital World Running

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks of LINBIT
__
please don't Cc me, but send to list -- I'm subscribed