[DRBD-user] split brain on both nodes

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Oct 18 22:00:37 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 03:11:42PM -0400, Digimer wrote:
> On 2018-10-17 5:35 a.m., Adam Weremczuk wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Yesterday I rebooted both nodes a couple of times (replacing BBU RAID
> > batteries) and ended up with:
> >
> > drbd0: Split-Brain detected but unresolved, dropping connection!
>
> Fencing prevents this.
>
> > on both.
> >
> > node1: /drbd-overview//
> > //0:r0/0  StandAlone Primary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown /srv/test1 ext4
> > 3.6T 75G 3.4T 3% /
> >
> > node2: /drbd-overview //
> > //0:r0/0  StandAlone Secondary/Unknown UpToDate/DUnknown/
> >
> > I understand there is a good chance (but not absolute guarantee) that
> > node1 holds consistent and up to date data.
> >
> > Q1:
> >
> > Is it reasonably possible to mount /dev/drbd0 (/dev/sdb1) on node2 in
> > read only mode?
> >
> > I would like to examine the data before discarding and syncing
> > everything from node1.
>
> Yes. You can also promote node 2 to examine it as well.
>
> > /drbdadm disconnect all//
> > //drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect all/
>
> Discarding the data will trigger a resync and resolve the split-brain,
> but of course, any changes on the discarded node will be lost.
>
> > Q2:
> >
> > Will the above completely purge all data on node2 or just drbd metadata?
> >
> > I.e. will all 75G have to be fully copied block by block or a lot less?
>
> It will do a full resync.

Even after a "split brain" (rather: data divergence),
DRBD usually can do an "incremental, bitmap based" resync:
DRBD knows which blocks have changed on each node, and will sync the
blocks described by the bit-or of those out-of-sync bitmaps.

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT | Keeping the Digital World Running

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks of LINBIT
__
please don't Cc me, but send to list -- I'm subscribed