[DRBD-user] Linstor node type & backup

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Fri Nov 30 15:32:44 CET 2018

On 11/30/18 3:19 PM, Julien Escario wrote:
> Hello,
> I can't really find useful information about this in docs : what's the
> difference between SATELLITE node and COMBINED node ?

A combined node is one that has a satellite installation and a
controller installation.
Since the controller does not control its own startup/shutdown or
HA/failover/etc., the combined mode is effectively really just a marker
for the administrator as of now. You can just as well register all nodes
as satellites, but still run a controller on any of them without any
problems.

> So, what's the use for the COMBINED type ? Does it replicate the
> /var/lib/linstor/ directory ?

Functionally, none in current versions.

> And just to know : so far, I'm backuping the
> /var/lib/linstor/linstordb.mv.db file. Is it sufficient to restart
> another controller if the first one is down ?

If it has a replica of the database, or otherwise access to the most
recent version of the database (e.g., the DB on shared storage, on
replicated storage, or a centralized database on some database server),
then yes. Make sure only one Controller is active at a time.

br,
Robert