[DRBD-user] Linstor-server 0.7.3/linstor-client 0.7.2 release

Robert Altnoeder robert.altnoeder at linbit.com
Fri Nov 30 13:59:48 CET 2018

On 11/30/18 12:11 PM, Yannis Milios wrote:

>     It is pretty simple, it builds/depmods the .kos and puts them in an
>     "update" directory in the /lib/modules (every distribution like to
>     call
>     this "update" dir differently, even Debian vs. Ubuntu IIRC).
>

> If Proxmox was shipping DRBD9 in their kernel (instead of DRBD8), as
> they were doing initially, then DKMS wouldn't be needed at all, but
> well, that's their decision ...

While we're at it, if Linux had binary compatible kernel modules, or a
compatibility layer for older modules, ...
A couple years ago I initially ran one of my servers on Solaris 10TE
with a network interface card driver from Solaris 7, until Intel
released an update. The limitation that every single driver has to match
the exact build of the kernel has always been one of the biggest issues
for business use of Linux in my opinion. I wonder that this was never
changed. I also run custom kernels quite often, so I have always found
it annoying not to be able to just drop a driver binary into a directory
and just use it.

br,
Robert