[DRBD-user] drbdmanage & dbus: object path contains invalid character

Wolfgang Walkowiak walkowiak at hep.physik.uni-siegen.de
Tue May 29 21:29:51 CEST 2018

Dear developers of drbdmanage,

we are running a Debian testing system with proxmox pve and use DRBD9 with LVM
thin volumes for replication of storage volumes between nodes.

Using drbdmanaged we notice many messages occuring in the logfiles like,
especially at the startup of the drbdmanaged, but also when certain commands
using drbdmanage are executed:

drbdmanaged[38297]: ERROR      Signal creation failed, unhandled exception
encountered

Obviously, the creation of the dbus signal doesn't succeed due to
the hyphens in the storage container name.

Looking a bit closer at drbdmanage/server.py, I modified the
create_signal(...) method a little in order to print a bit more
about the 'unhandled exception' (lines 1396 ff.):

             except Exception as ex:
                 logging.error("Signal creation failed, "
                               "unhandled exception encountered")
                 logging.error("Exception: %s" % str(ex))

Et voila, the reason appears:

drbdmanaged[38297]: ERROR      Signal creation failed, unhandled exception
encountered
drbdmanaged[38297]: ERROR      Exception: Invalid object path
'/objects/assignments/monetbase2/vm-1801-disk-1': contains invalid character
'-'

Looking at the dbus specifications at
https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html

we find that under Revision 0.32 of 2018-01-30:

"* Deprecate hyphen/minus in bus names, with underscore as the recommended
replacement"

Most likely my Debian testing is set up with a recent enough DBUS version for
this specification to already be implemented.  See below for the version
specification of some relevant packages.

It would be great if the corresponding developers of drbdmanage could have a
look at this issue and propose a fix.

Thank you and best wishes,

w.w.

---
Debian versions of relevant packages installed:

dbus                                 1.10.26-0+deb9u1 libdbus-1-3:amd64
1.10.26-0+deb9u1 libdbus-glib-1-2:amd64               0.108-2 libnet-dbus-perl
1.1.0-4+b1 python-dbus                          1.2.4-1+b1 drbdmanage-proxmox
2.1-1 python-drbdmanage                    0.99.17-1

   Dr. Wolfgang Walkowiak     Phone: +49-271-740-3889
   Fakultaet IV / Physik      Fax  : +49-271-740-3886
   Emmy Noether Campus
   Universitaet Siegen    --> Wolfgang.Walkowiak at hep.physik.uni-siegen.de
   Walter-Flex-Str. 3         Wolfgang.Walkowiak at gmx.net
   57068 Siegen