[DRBD-user] Upgrade PVE 4.4 to 5.1 DRB9

Shafeek Sumser shafeeks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 11:17:39 CET 2018

In fact, what I did before was installed drbd-dkms and then I installed the
kernel headers.
So to rectify, I just did a removal of drbd-dkms and re-install it.  So the
proper way is to install the kernel-headers first then the drbd-dms
package.

A search in the proxmox kernel packages, I found that there is the meta
package pve-headers but it uses the kernel pve-headers-4.10.5-1-pve.

My actual kernel is on 4.13.13-6-pve.  So the meta package did not work.  I
need to install the proper kernel version apt-get install
pve-headers-`uname -r`

Whenever there is a new kernel provided by pve, I think they provide their
respective kernel headers.

I will watch this and whenever there is a kernel updates it should be
working from my point of view since it will also update its respective
kernel headers.

A+
Shafeek

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Roland Kammerer <roland.kammerer at linbit.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 08:16:16PM +0000, Yannis Milios wrote:
> > A simple ‘apt install drbd-dkms —reinstall’ should work as well.
> > Remember repeating this task each time you upgrade your
> > kernel/headers.
>
> Really? DKMS should handle that, that is exactly it's job. So if that
> really does not work automatically (after getting it "kick started" by
> installing the headers the first time), then there is something wrong.
>
> Do you get new headers automatically when there is a new Proxmox kernel?
> In other words is there a meta package for the headers that is updated
> when they release a new kernel?
>
> This should be something like "linux-headers-amd64" (but likely with
> some "pve" in it's name). Or are there only pkgs for a specific release,
> like: linux-headers-4.14.0-3-common/linux-headers-4.14.0-3-amd64. Again,
> this is the output from a normal Debian box, Proxmox mixes in some "pve"
> IIRC.
>
> Or I'm holding my DKMS magic for the kernel wrong ;-).
>
> Feedback would be great.
>
> Thanks, rck

Shafeek SUMSER