[DRBD-user] Updating Kernel w/out Updating DRBD

Veit Wahlich cru.lists at zodia.de
Fri Jun 22 09:44:42 CEST 2018

Hi Eric,

if your distro is el (e.g. RHEL/CentOS/Scientific), the kernel ABI
*should* not change during kernel updates, and copying modules from
older kernel versions as "weak updates" is not uncommon, following the
slogan "old module is better than no module". This is for example the
case for CentOS 7 and worked quite well in the past, unfortunately with
upgrade to 7.5 the ABI changed nevertheless and caused many systems even
to crash when using some old modules, including drbd.

If you build the module on the system that runs it, you might consider
installing/building a dkms or akmod package of drbd instead, along with
dkms/akmod itself. When booting a new kernel, dkms/akmod will check
whether the packaged modules already exist for the running kernel, and
if not, they will be built and installed. This works as long as the
module source builds well against the kernel source/headers provided and
all dependencies and build tools are present.

Regards,
// Veit