[DRBD-user] linstor-proxmox-2.8

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 16:25:20 CEST 2018

> Satellite and Controller are quite obvious, Combined is a node that runs
> a Satellite and may sometimes run a Controller, Auxiliary is a node that
> runs neither but is registered for other reasons, this is mostly
> reserved for future features.

Can these 'roles' be modified afterwards once set? or they are static, i.e
do we have to remove node and re-add it with another role specification.

> There is a NodeLost API and a corresponding command for it.

Is there a way for an admin to access API and run this command or it's for
dev only use?

it is expected that a system
> administrator will clean up a resource manually if automatic cleanup
> does not work,

I presume here you mean cleaning up resource LVs,ZVOLs etc. Sure, this is
true as long as the node is accessible.

> ...and as soon as LINSTOR detects that the resource has been
> cleaned up properly, it will disappear from LINSTOR's database if the
> resource was marked for deletion.

Nice.

There are however no plans to add any force flags like in drbdmanage to
> resource management (or similar) commands, because that frequently
> caused massive desyncs of drbdmanage's state and the real state of
> backend storage resource, as it was frequently misused by
> administrators, who also often expected the various "force" options to
> do something completely different than they actually did.

True ...

> Deleting the database will cause LINSTOR to initialize a new database.
> The database could be anywhere depending on how LINSTOR was installed,
> where it currently is can be found out by looking at the connection-url
> setting in controller's database.cfg file.

In my case it's in /opt/linstor-server/database.cfg and the entry is..
<entry key="connection-url">jdbc:h2:/opt/linstor-server/linstordb</entry>

Are you saying that deleting /opt/linstor-server/linstordb will reset all
settings and cause LINSTOR to create a new database file?

> This is supposed to be managed by a cluster resource manager like
> pacemaker.
> Obviously, in a multi-controller HA environment, the controller database
> must be available on all nodes, and there are various possibilities to
> ensure it is

Thanks, I think it has already been mentioned that for Proxmox, this will
be in the form of a HA VM appliance, which will be provided by LINBIT.

> I'll leave answering the package-related questions to our packaging
> experts.

Thanks again..

BR
Yannis