[DRBD-user] linstor-proxmox-2.8

Roland Kammerer roland.kammerer at linbit.com
Fri Jul 27 11:23:13 CEST 2018

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 09:20:29AM +0100, Yannis Milios wrote:
> Quick question, can we use Linstor side-by-side with DM, without affecting
> one the other ?
> This may be good for testing or perhaps for migrating DM resources to
> Linstor in the future ?

Short answer: somehow if you really know what your are doing. No don't
do that.

because:
- you can not use both plugins at the same time. Both claim the "drbd"
  name. Long story, it has to be like this. Hardcoded "drbd" in
  Plugin.pm which is out of our control.
- DM/LS would not overwrite each others res files, but depending on your
  configuration/default ports/minors, the results (one res file from DM,
  one unrelated from LINSTOR might conflict because of port/minor
  collisions).

So if you want to test the LINSTOR stuff/plugin, do it in a "lab".

Migration will be possible, also "soon" (testing the plugin and linstor
makes this soon sooner ;-) ). Roughly it will be a DM export of the DB +
a linstor (client) command that reads that json dump and generates
linstor commands to add these resources to the LINSTOR DB (with the
existing ports/minors,...). LINSTOR is then clever enough to not create
new meta-data, it will see that these resources are up and fine. This
will be a documented procedure for which steps you do in what order.

Regards, rck