[DRBD-user] How unstable is latest git?

Eddie Chapman eddie at ehuk.net
Tue Jul 17 14:08:43 CEST 2018

I keep an eye on commits to the drbd 9 repository
https://github.com/LINBIT/drbd-9.0/

and I see quite a few have gone in since 9.0.14-1 was released end of
April ( thanks all at Linbit for the hard work :-) )

I'm planning on rebooting a couple of drbd servers using 9.0.14-1 this
weekend to update the kernels (I use the kernel.org stable releases) and
am thinking I might build the kernels with the latest drbd git rather
than the 9.0.14-1 tarball.

My question is, how "unstable" would you guys say the latest git is?

Is it a case of "Don't even think about doing that, you're crazy, you'll
be lucky if it even builds, we don't even test it ourselves. Just stick
to the releases or it will eat your data." ?

Or is it more like "there is a small risk you'll be burnt since it has
not been widely tested, you're on your own of course, but more than
likely we've fixed more bugs than we've introduced so it will probably
be OK" ?

Maybe it's an impossible question .. just trying to get a feel ...

thanks,
Eddie