[DRBD-user] confused with DRBD 9.0 and dual-primary

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 29 16:31:52 CEST 2018

----- On Aug 29, 2018, at 3:46 PM, Trevor Hemsley themsley at voiceflex.com wrote:

> On 29/08/18 14:38, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i found:
>> "With current DRBD-9.0 version running in Dual-Primary mode is not recommended
>> (because of lack of testing).
>> In DRBD-9.1 it will be possible to have more than two primaries at the same
>> time."
>>
>> Clear statement. I'm using SLES 12 SP3 with DRBD 9.0.8. Is DRBD 9.1 already
>> available ?
>> I have a two-node cluster and like to have live migration with virtual machines
>> as resources.
>> For that i need dual-primary, right ?
>>
>> I found some tarballs:
>> https://www.linbit.com/en/drbd-community/drbd-download/
>>
>> The kernel modules are 9.0.x.
>> The drbd-utils i found are 9.x.
>>
>> Are these already dual-primary capable ?
>
> If you only have a two node cluster then why not use DRBD 8.4.11 which
> has working dual primary already.
>
> Trevor

Hi Trevor,

because my SLES 12 SP3 is shipped with 9.0.8.
And i'm wondering that a functionality which worked fine before is now not recommended.
I think installing 8.4.11 on a recent operating system will cause problems,
and 9.0.8 receive patches from Suse.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Matthias H. Tschoep, Heinrich Bassler, Dr. rer. nat. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671