[DRBD-user] linstor-proxmox-2.9.0

Roberto Resoli roberto at resolutions.it
Mon Aug 27 11:25:02 CEST 2018

Il 27/08/2018 10:53, Yannis Milios ha scritto:
> Sorry for interrupting, but I wanted to share my experience with this as
> well (see below) ...

thanks Yannis, it seems we are quite in sync with our trials :-)

>     What do you mean by that? The DRBD resource (== storage for the
>     controller VM) is brought up by the drbd.service and can then be
>     auto-promoted. The plugin code ignores that VM. The Proxmox HA service
>     should do its job and start the VM on one node. So again, where exactly
>     does that chain break in your setup?
>
> In my case, I had success in making the LINSTOR controller HA in two
> different clusters, but by following a slightly different approach.

oh, nice

> In documentation, it's stated the following ...
>
> "The basic idea is to execute the LINSTOR controller within a VM that is
> controlled by Proxmox and
> its HA features, where the storage resides on DRBD managed by LINSTOR
> itself."
>
> So by this, I understand that the LINSTOR controller VM will be managed
> by PVE by using its HA feature, all good so far.
> Then it's stated that, the storage that will be used to store this VM
> will be DRBD, which will be managed by LINSTOR itself.
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Question: Isn't the above a paradox? How can PVE HA start a machine
> which is stored in a shared storage, which the only way to make it
> available, is by starting this HA VM  in the first place?

I agree, but afaik drbd service should be the alternative mechanism for
bringing resources up. In my experience this didn't worked.

> My tests showed that whenever PVE tried to start this HA VM, it failed,
> because the underlying storage (DRBD) was not available  (and yes,
> drbd.service was set to "enabled" and was "started" in all nodes).
> Checked inside /var/lib/linstor.d to see if the resource file for this
> VM was in there, but it wasn't. Actually, there were no resource files
> at all in there, apart from "linstor_common.conf".

Same here.

> Question: Where should drbd.service find the resource configuration file
> for the LINSTOR controller VM? Inside /var/lib/linstor.d or in /etc/drbd.d ?
>
> For the former, LINSTOR should auto generate that resource file, but it
> doesn't, because the controller is not available (yet) ?. For the
> latter, someone can manually create a .res file (the classic DRBD
> approach), copy it to all nodes and do the required backed storage
> preparations before deploying the LINSTOR controller VM.
>
> I used the latter method and so far seems to work properly (manually
> created .res files in /etc/drbd.d). As, Proxmox supports multiple
> storage types, storing LINSTOR controller VM in a NFS storage for
> example, should be an alternative, easier to setup option.

This is just what came to my mind as a solution, but what storage pool
you used for controller vm resource? Is it the linstor-managed one or
another? In the former case, i guess that the controller vm resource is
a sort of 'foreign body'.

Thanks,
rob